Blog Response #5

URL: http://budtheteacher.typepad.com/bud_the_teacher/

Article Title: The Rest of my Whispering on Textbooks

My Response:I too am a student and agree that I only use text books in order to complete assignments that require me specifically to refer to them, such as on-line quizzes based off of reading and cramming for a test. Throughout my first few years of college have found that the elimination of text books as you are suggesting is definitely a growing phenomenon. This semester, I was required to purchase a text book for one of my six courses, and for the rest of my classes, readings have come from novels and gatherings of various articles.

The way I see it, the issues that hold us back from completely doing away with text books are:

1. Lack of quality teachers: If readings come merely from articles, then readings will typically be focused around more specific issues than general concepts. For this reason, it is imperative that teachers are able to provide students with adequate knowledge of each topic as well as clear cut organization to help guide students along through the course.

2. Transition of Technology: As with any switch from one type of technology/tool to the next, this sort of anti-textbook "fad" will take time to complete itself. This is comparable to the switch from cassettes to CDs and from VHS to DVD, however this change is even more drastic.

• .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • 26
  • 27
  • 28
  • 29
  • 30