Blog post 5

Blog 5

Conversation with Pre-Service Teachers - The Set Curriculum

November 12th, 2007

http://www.teachandlearn.ca/blog/

I realized that my classroom was a place where there was a lot of teaching going on, but not a lot of learning. When talking to me about her work, Julia had used an adopted voice. She spoke about the thesis statement, the hook, about effective support. She used the terminology that I had been using since the beginning of the school year. She realized that school is about "playing school," that as long as she could jump through all of my hoops, she would do well and get into the university of her choice. My class was reduced to an obstacle course. She knew that writing a good paper was about learning how to produce the right reactions in its evaluator

It's amazing how true this is.  This kind of behavior isn't just related to paper writing it happens in any subject a student still wants to do well in but couldn't care less about.  Going through the motions is something that I know I have been guilty of in the past and it is something I would like to avoid when I teach.  The problem is it's impossible to force your students to want to learn material they have no interest in.  If anyone has any suggestions on ways of avoiding this all too common occurrence any insight would be welcome.

• .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • 26
  • 27
  • 28
  • 29
  • 30
  • .