Blog Post #5

Teach to the Test.  http://teacherbarry.blogspot.com/index.html  by Barry Fuller.  "The kids who are in danger of being left behind need to be taught how to pass the tests in life. Seriously, the gifted kids are going to get into college and get jobs where logic and reason win out over rote memorization, so everything works out."

I have to agree with what you're saying to an extent. I used to work at a fast food restaurant for almost two years and I know all too well that having an inspection only means we want this to be perfect and clean for the moments that the inspector is there. When it comes to schooling and education, I think there's a little more to education, even if its before the enlightened college level, than tests can cover. Agreeing with you though, testing is the perfect way to teach kids some level of responsibility, and to at least have the interest in how they're doing. A woman once told me, "Education isn't supposed to teach you the right answers to everything, it's supposed to teach you how to find where those right answers are if you need them". Teaching to the test is the perfect way to get it done and over with, and maybe that is what we need. My only hope is that those willing and meant to do more in their own education, seek it without a teachers direct help.

Blog Post #4

When is it No Longer an Implementation Error?  by Chris Lehmann.  http://practicaltheory.org/serendipity  "... a string of similar incidents brought flawed results on other standardized exams, including the SAT's and the state math and reading tests used to judge schools under the federal No Child Left Behind Act."

I'm currently majoring in education to become a teacher, and standardized, high stakes tests is probably the topic that interests me most about being a teacher. In my opinion, testing is hardly a good way to show the intelligence of a person, rather, it's really only good for showing if they memorized specific bits of information you teach them. With so much money going into testing on a nationwide scale, the last thing we should see on an already flawed system, are more flaws. Especially under the federal No Child Left Behind Act, which is putting more pressure on test scores than ever before and that should never be so necessary to do, tests should be distributed to students should be flawless.

I laugh too when I read the words "testing industry".

Blog Post #2

I wish I could quit you! by Tim Fredrick.  http://timfredrick.typepad.com/  "I think her point was that when you are "done" with teaching (i.e., you are burned out), you are not doing anyone any favors by staying.  You are making matters worse for yourself, your students, and your colleagues."

Well, I'm an education major right now, training to be a teacher, and I thought your story was quite interesting. As for being a student for nearly my entire life, like most people, I can see when teachers are going through dilemmas, or if they don't want to be where they are, or if they just plain don't like teaching anymore. I must agree that there definitely is a time to quit, and that time is when you feel it's right. From the student perspective, you can learn a lot by the burned out teacher, but it can also hurt you or your motivation to learn by having one.

Sometimes quitting your job can be a good thing, sometimes like in your case, it just means moving onto something you like better. Quitting on, or giving up on a student is something completely different. I want to become a teacher partially so I can change students' lives for the better, so your story really compelled me to think about those situations more, and I hope I can have the courage to live up to life's expectations of me there.

Blog Post #3

http://armandod.typepad.com/the_growing_pains_of_a_ci/

The Growing Pains of a City Academy aged 3

"The National Curriculum was designed at a time when teachers did have the monopoly on information. Students didn't have access to the wealth of information they do now."

I agree fully with what everyone here was discussing, I also agree completely with this statement. I believe this shift of sources of knowledge is something that will soon need to be attended to. The role of teachers will become of no less importance than it does now, but I think the way that teachers will be teaching, to what extent, and how they will guide students will change. All in all it is a teachers job to educate, and if there are other sources of information out there that would greatly benefit students, it is the teachers job to educate about such things. I also believe it isn't exactly the whole syllabus that will have to change, but I think it's imperative it becomes a little more loose about the exact information that needs to be learned, based on standardized testing and grades. Adapting the internet into schools and a more unstandardized learning structure, is key to the future of education.

Blog Response #1

http://coolcatteacher.blogspot.com/2007/09/how-web-posted-on-web-is-causing-talk.html#links

Hi Vicki,

I was reading a few articles online, when I approached a fascinating picture of spider webs that i couldn't help but inspect further.  Upon reading your article, I find myself happy to find someone else feels the same way.  I mean, I love the internet, like most people who use it do.  It's one of the most versatile and helpful tools in the world... but that's what it is, a tool.  It's a tool for communication and education.  However, there is truth in the outside world, and there are some falsities in the web.  The importance of research, exploration, and real experience is undeniable.

I use the internet for many things and one of these is for gaming.  Though it may sound almost childish, it's very sophisticated, and requires you to work with up to 40 people, from different parts of the world, and communicate quickly and effectively to accomplish something.  though there are many tools on the internet to help, one of which we use is a oral communication program called Ventrillo, there is nothing like actually being there with the same people.  Social contact, though greatly mimicd by software, just doesn't match up to the real thing.

I'm reminded of the movie "Good Will Hunting", when Robin Williams congronts Matt Damon, and tellls him that he thinks he's seen the world through all the books he's read, but he doesn't really know what the Sistine Chapel actually <i>smells</i> like.

Mike

• .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • 26
  • 27
  • 28
  • 29
  • 30
  • .