Blog Response #5

Title of post: Reaching Across Cultures

URL: http://davidwarlick.com/2cents/2007/11/13/reaching-across-cultures/#comments

The author of 2¢ Worth writes, "Our children can rich back across cultures to witness in brand new ways, the greats of their chosen passions, and then express it in old world ways..."

As I was reading this blog, I was actually listening to high school and college students sing show tunes on Youtube. I have been listening to some of my favorite songs sung in different ways and acted out by different people. I find it interesting that students can now go across the globe and through time to get at an array of learning materials. What intrigues me most about your post is that you say that students can reach through different cultures in order to study what they want. The internet can actually place learning into the students hands and allow them to teach themselves! With the help of a teacher, Youtube is a great tool for bringing in multi-cultural lesson plans into the classroom. There are a wide variety of very useful videos that can be brought in from all over the states and the world to educate our students.

Blog Response #4

Title: Is the National Curriculum Too Busy?

URL: http://armandod.typepad.com/the_growing_pains_of_a_ci/2007/01/is_the_national.html?cid=88187406#comment-88187406 

Armando Di-Finizio, author of the blog 'The Growing Pains of a City Academy' writes, "If we identify all the difficult concepts in the syllabus and deliver these (seminars on the course) discretely, then we create a lot more time for students to access the curriculum themselves, and by doing so develop good habits of learning along the way. "

My response:

I think that holding the students responsible for their knowledge of the easier concepts and subjects in a course's curriculum can work with a few guidelines. First of all, all students in the class need to have access to the internet, which, nationally, just isn't the case. This would work in suburban schools, but in urban or rural settings it would be difficulut for a teacher to find the time to help each student. Secondly, students need to be held accountable in some way for the information that they are supposed to learn on their own. We are currently supplementing my experiencing music class with online articles and information on different composers. The sad truth is that because we are not being tested on this knowledge, at least 90% of students do not do the readings. 

I like this concept though. This way teachers can dig deeper instead of wider and student can really apply their knowledge in a classroom setting.  

Blog Response #3

Title of post: Worth Watching. And Thinking About.

URL: http://budtheteacher.typepad.com/bud_the_teacher/2007/10/worth-watching-.html?cid=86631836#comment-86631836

The Bud Hunt says, "I think this video is of interest to many - both because of the way it was made - which I like very much - as well as the accompanying post on the statistics behind its creation.  What a great model for transparency in creation - as well as a good piece for conversation."

My Response:

I first found this video, not surprisingly, on Facebook (I am a college student). One of my friends shared it with me the other day. This video rings true for many college students, and while the data may not have been collected in the most unbiased way possible, it still portrays the life of a student in that class at that time. Obviously there is change that needs to be made to our education system, or there will continue to be students that just ‘slip through the cracks.' In our days of growing technology, it can be hard to break out of the conventional mode and bring that into the classroom. However, thanks to classes like the ones that I am in now, I find that more and more teaches are progressing to the technology era, reaching more students, and making their lives easier at the same time. 

Blog Response #2

Title of Post: Incredible Experiences...

URL: http://durffsblog.blogspot.com/2007/10/incredible-experiences.html

The author of Durff's blog says, "How far have I traveled in the last few minutes? I was just conversing with people around the USA and Canada as a class of preservice teachers with Sheryl Nussbaum-Beach listened...Well, really, zero."

My Response:

I have never thought about technology in such tangible terms. Even when I think of who I talked to on the phone today or with iChat, I realize that I would have easily had to have traveled over 1,000 miles (and that is just between Illinois, Indiana, and Missouri!). This type of rhetoric could be a useful tool for persuading administrators and other educators to use technology in the classroom. It's so catchy, "How many miles have you traveled today?" It really gets the wheels turning about what it actually means to talk to someone on the other side of the world.

Blog Response #1

Title of post: Are Schools Irrelevant?

URL: http://remoteaccess.typepad.com/remote_access/2007/09/are-schools-irr.html#comments

The author of the Remote Access blog says, "Classrooms are not the best, easiest, or most advanced places for people to learn new things. So I need to ask:
Are we becoming irrelevant? If we believe that schools, teachers, and classrooms are in the business of being the gatekeepers of information, this has the potential to be true."

My Response:

I believe that nothing can replace the relationship that a teacher is able to have with a student. If it were not for my past teachers, I know that I would not have a passion for knowledge and education as I do today. Teachers are able to provide stability, resources, and a personal connection with each student that the students may not be able to have at home. I don't think there are enough advocates for children out there for educators to be swept under the rug. We are a critical part of education that will not be easy to remove without taking the individualistic aspects out of the picture.

« May 2017 »
  • .
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • 26
  • 27
  • 28
  • 29
  • 30
  • 31
  • .
  • .
  • .