Blog Response #5

In her post "Creating a Learning Wiki" Anne Baird discusses wikis and how useful she finds them.

URL:  http://wedderburn-college.blogspot.com/2007/11/creating-learning-wiki.html

My Response:  I was introduced to wikis for the first time this semester in one of my education classes, and I think they are incredibly useful.  I only wish that I had known about them before; they make group projects and collaborations so much easier.  My teacher uses them each day in the classroom, and I love being able to go back after class to look over anything that I didn't quite understand or that we went over real quick.  I definitely plan to use them in my future classroom.  I think that they are a great resource for students and teachers alike.

Blog Response #4

Jiulie Lindsay (http://123elearning.blogspot.com/) blogged about her Flat Classroom Project and the book upon which it is based, Thomas Friedman's The World is Flat in her post "Bringing the World into the Classroom."  I looked into her site and that of Vicki Davis's to learn more about the project.  I can't wait to tell my politics class about it, as we are loving Friedman's book and its application to the future of global politics and economics.

My Response:

As a future teacher, the Flat Classroom Project is exciting. I'm looking forward to being able to implement such projects in my future classroom. My politics class is in the middle of studying Friedman's book, and it is amazing. By completing this project, your students will definitely be able to establish themselves as better players in the new global field that is emerging. They will understand more than any other students in our country the vast changes in business, economics, and education that are happening each day. This is such a great opportunity for them, and I hope that I can present the same opportunity to my students someday!

Blog Response #3

Anne Davis posts about a comment she left to one of her fifth graders who blogged, "why is there too much violence in the world.  There are bad people in the world.  Why the bad people do bad things to the world?  Why do people have to fight?"

URL:   http://anne.teachesme.com/

My Response: 

I love the new technology open to students these days.  Blogs are opening their minds and allowing them to feel like their opinions can be heard.  Comments from teachers show them that they have great ideas and that they matter very much in the world even though they may be young.  I'm sure that your comment to Erica gave her a sense of hope, that even though the world seems much bigger than her and difficult to handle, other people feel exactly the same way.  She is not alone.  Comments such as these validate students and make them feel comfortable to open up and share their opinions even more in the future.  I'm excited to use blogging with my students and find out what great ideas and opinions they have!

Blog Response #2

In her blog http://coolcatteacher.blogspot.com/, Vicki Davis asks, "Do we need more than text to tell the stories?" She argues that "we should encourage students to select the best mode of communicating their topic. And that students should be familiar with as many modes as possible. Sure, someone has to put these in their "toolbox" but once the tools are there, they should be using them in all classes."

My response:

This is a great point for today's educators and the educators of tomorrow, such as myself. Although I've grown up during a time of increased technology, I have no doubt that my future students will be more technologically savvy than I was at their age. While my classes utilized mostly textbooks, today's classrooms have more tools at hand that can give students more opportunities to become interested in the lessons. Also, by letting students choose their mode of communication, we are able to let them use their imagination. I'm incredibly excited to use these tools in my future classroom!

Blog Response #1

http://practicaltheory.org/serendipity/index.php?/archives/883-My-School-Goals-Journal-Take-Two.html

My School Goals Journal -- Take Two

Chris Lehmann is outlining his goals for the next school year.  One of his goals includes to "Continue to deeply investigate what this notion of 21st Century teaching and learning means. We should look at the idea that learning is networked, and that our networks are now global."

My Response:

I definitely agree with Jessica’s post and that learning has become a “global network”. Introducing international students to one another through technology will further their education and open their minds to a different way of thinking and learning. Also, this will enable students to have an open mind to different cultures and may give the next generation of global community a wider tolerance. In a college course I took last semester, we engaged in a discussion via satellite with students from Egypt and Bahrain. We discussed the differences between our cultures with respect to views toward women and toward terrorist groups. Through this discussion, I realized that I needed to adjust my views about citizens of the Middle East and the causes of the many conflicts there. By interacting with students with entirely different experiences than mine, I was able to open my eyes to how small the world is becoming and how much I really do have in common with students across the world.

• .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • 26
  • 27
  • 28
  • 29
  • 30
  • .