Blog Response #5

Title: Empowering Relationships

URL: http://www.bloglines.com

Blogging and commenting on blogs helps to cement our relationships. Discussions happen between people, not robots. Our understandings of who we are as well as who the others are is developed through blogging. Our thinking is deepened, further connected, challenged, & maybe re-aligned through blogging.

Podcasting is another web 2.0 that solidifies relationships. I did some podcasting with primary students today. They were reading their books and will encourage those people important to them to listen this evening. Listening to these voices will bring families closer.

I use web 2.0 tools to reinforce those things that are already important to our lives. Relationship is one of those things. Education by developing effective habits of mind is another. What I do, teaching technology as a seperate class, needs to disappear. Technology, like reading, needs to be an integral part of what we all do. While this view may ultimately put me out of a job, it is the right thing to do for our learners. If I'm not willing to lose my job, then I am not going to be able to do my job.

My Response:

I agree.  This semester was my first introduction to podcasting and other forms of interaction through technology.  This form of learning has opened my eyes as to how vital technology can be to advancing and competing in the business world, which coincides with effective education.  If a student wants to have an advantage in the “real world” technology education is increasingly becoming vital.  For example, no one argues that writing skills are fundamental for effective communication in business and other life situations.  Today, technology is just as important for information.  The Internet has its own language, encoding system, communication tools, and many more functions that facilitate learning.  These things need to be embedded across all areas of education if we want our children to be truly informed and knowledgeable citizens. 

• .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • 26
  • 27
  • 28
  • 29
  • 30