Blog Response #5

Blog Response #5

Title of Post: Reaching Across Cultures

URL: http://davidwarlick.com/2cents/

David Warlick states that, "today, young musicians are able to reach across the decades and watch the greats, study their styles, slow the action, and know the atmosphere".

My Response:

Hi David,

What your son and Steve's son have been able to do with YouTube is amazing. I played the drums in various school bands for nearly ten years and was always recommended to listen to the great musicians of the past to improve my own playing. I graduated from high school two years ago and never once thought about implementing YouTube when practicing. I was able to read music very well and saw an amazing difference in my ability when I would take time to critically listen to songs. While through listening to music one can improve on style, rhythm, and feel, it is more difficult to improve one's technique simply by listening to music. Through using YouTube to actually watch musicians play, I realize how it would make it easier for students to see how they move their limbs, the sticking they use to create a certain type of sound, and the communication between musicians beyond just how the parts interact. Utilizing YouTube is a brilliant way to combine visual with auditory learning, especially in the case of music education.

-Caitlin

• .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • 26
  • 27
  • 28
  • 29
  • 30