Blog 5

Play Web 2.0 Truth AND Dare

by Vicki Davis

http://coolcatteacher.blogspot.com/2007/11/play-web-20-truth-and-dare.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGCJ46vyR9o&eurl=http://coolcatteacher.blogspot.com/

In Response to the Video posted.

i really like this video. we originally watched it in my C&I class. i think it brings up several great points on what students choose to spend their time on. also it makes several great points on just how much is expected of students in the accidemic sense. overall i think it was well done and makes a great statement. i wonder if it were shown on a network news program the type of reaction it would get.

Blog 4

http://teaching.mrbelshaw.co.uk/index.php/2007/05/19/5-things-that-make-me-say-yes-to-a-school/#more-1409

5 things that make me say ‘yes' to a school

Doug Belshaw

3. Staff-pupil relations

Evidence of the quality of relationships between staff and pupils is evident when just walking around the school. Are students polite? Do they expect, for example, you to get out the way of them? Is there evidence of respect towards members of staff? The best indicator, I feel, is the way that students treat lunchtime supervisors. Another indicator is the interview lesson that you teach: how do they treat you?

My response to Doug

I really like the part about student and staff interaction. I think one of the most important things when setting up your class room is establishing a healthy respect level between yourself and the students. Obviously not exactly the same but I feel that my experience as a Resident Assistant at Illinois State University helped to understand what this healthy respect level is. Not only by looking at the atmosphere on my floor but on other's floors as well and how they were treated by the residents. I hope that this experience will be able to translate into my teaching career and help me to find that balance of respect for the students and their respect for me.

Blog #3

http://www.speedofcreativity.org/2007/10/15/a-vision-of-students-today/#comment-41847

"A Vision of Students Today" by Wesley Fryer

My comments refer to a video posted on his blog.

My Response:

I really like the first video in this post; it is a very accurate description of what it is like to be a student today. It seems that school systems are a little behind the times when it comes to adjusting to the changing needs of the students. Personally I think ISU (Illinois State University) has done a good job of incorporating more engaging material into their class rooms. Another great message was even though we have these complaints about school and wish that it was better, we are so much better off then other places around the world. I think that was a great way to end the piece, it really put a spin on the information that was presented in the beginning. It basically shows you, that ya maybe being a student aren't the easiest or most glamorous thing, but you truly are lucky to even have the money to buy the books you don't read.

Blog #2

From: "Teach to the test" by Barry Fuller

http://teacherbarry.blogspot.com/

"Something I've noticed since I've been back in the glorious retail oasis that is a chain gas station in corporate America is that "Teach to the Test" is exactly what our kids need. All of the stations in this chain are graded on 2 major tests: the Mystery Shop, and the Quality Assurance inspection. Without getting into details, the former is a covert, surprise inspection that insures we're not swearing at the customers and defecating on the floor, while the latter focuses on making sure the hot dogs will kill you in 30 years, just not tonight.

What's great is that we know the questions ahead of time, the trick is just propping the store up long enough to pass inspection then moving on with our day to day lives of slacking off. For example: "Is the cappuccino machine clean and working?" Ok, so we clean the machine. Here's the rub: if a customer happens to use the machine at some point, all of our work is erased. If the inspection happens to occur some time between customer use (ranging anywhere from once to hundreds of times daily) and cleaning (ranging anywhere from once a day to never) then we're hosed. In reality, the machine doesn't need to be cleaned daily because the "gunk" that is being cleaned is nothing more than cappuccino powder and water (which is what you're drinking anyway). But they say 'clean', and we say "when are you going to be here, because I don't want to do this twice?"

It all makes perfect sense. The kids who are in danger of being left behind need to be taught how to pass the tests in life. Seriously, the gifted kids are going to get into college and get jobs where logic and reason win out over rote memorization, so everything works out."

My Response:

I completely see where you are coming from with the gas station story. I worked in a bank for several years myself and it was the same way, we had mystery shops with very specific things they would look for and we had our daily checks on the paper work we did. It didn't really matter how fast or efficiently we did transactions, or how well we knew how to use the system or apply it in different ways it was simply about those two tests. The way you tied this into how students work and are taught is great. In high school it is very easy to figure out what work needs to be done in order to receive the grade you want. Rarely do you find yourself in a position where you really need to learn understand and apply a concept. Those students who can do those things rather then just memorize will have an easier time in college and the real world. i think as educators it is important to stress this to the students any way we can.

Blog #1

How do we keep new teachers?

http://timfredrick.typepad.com/timfredrick/teacher_educationprofessional_development/index.html

Tim Fredrick's article is focused on new teachers and their experiences, as the title implies. He takes looks at the experiences that new teachers often encounter in their first year on the job. He then explores what he feels are better alternatives for first year teachers so that they might have a better opportunity at sticking with the profession.

My Response:

I don't find this to be too surprising that teachers receive the most undesirable classes and schedule. Obviously new teachers are the "low man on the totem pole" and would naturally pick up what is left over after the veteran teachers get their pick. This is not desirable in any stretch of the imagination, but really it is the fairest approach for both parties. As I will be a new teacher within the next 2 years it is discouraging to think that my first year and possibly the next several after that will be very tough and trying times. But it will only encourage me more to work hard to persevere through it so that I can do more of the things that I want in the future. This system of giving the new teachers the roughest schedule is basically a trial by fire, a final weeding out process. It insures that only those educators that are truly passionate about teaching and really have the drive to continue will work hard enough to make it past the first few years. Of course it would be easier for the new teachers to be given a group of "good students" that will make for the easiest experience possible for that first year helping them to get accustomed the new position. However as I discussed before this would allow several teachers to get deep into the career before having to deal with an adverse situation and they quite possibly will not be ready to deal with it. this method of bringing in new teachers may be rough and seem unfair to those of us entering in but really it will only make us better educators in the long run.

« May 2017 »
  • .
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • 26
  • 27
  • 28
  • 29
  • 30
  • 31
  • .
  • .
  • .