Blog #5

Blog Response #5

Title of post: Overt and covert messages in signs

URL: http://www.speedofcreativity.org/

Wes Fryer’s November 12th blog entry includes several photos that drew his attention.  One of them was of a newspaper headline that read, “Achieving Perfection.”  The paper article described a wealthy school district who had exceeded standardized test expectations for the third year in a row.  Fryer writes, “Did this test reflect student creativity or problem solving skills? Did this test reflect digital literacy skills? Media literacy? Any type of digital information literacy at all? Of course not. Yet the author of this article is calling that performance PERFECTION?!” 

My Response:

I was drawn to this photo (the newspaper headline) and its story because my C&I 212 group project topic was indeed No Child Left Behind.  As I prepare to present our digital story to the class tomorrow, I am again reminded that many of the topics covered by standardized tests reflect a very narrow view of what is important in an education.  If perfection in this case means that students have learned how to prepare for standardized tests, then yes, I would say that they had performed quite well.  I agree with your assertion that this is not enough.  If the purpose of public education is to prepare students to function and communicate effectively within our society, we must incorporate more technology into lessons, because it is through present and future technological tools that people will communicate in almost any career choice.  In order to be able to obtain a higher-paying job, students will need to familiarize themselves with a number of technological tools, as well as keep an open mind to learning how to use more technological and communication tools as they are developed.  Educators will need to find a greater balance between usable knowledge and pertinent test material in order to cultivate well-prepared students.  Thanks for including these photos and your comments.

« May 2017 »
  • .
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • 26
  • 27
  • 28
  • 29
  • 30
  • 31
  • .
  • .
  • .