Blog 5 Response

Taken from: Make a Difference

Weblog: Anne Davis

URL: http://anne.teachesme.com/

Anne Davis writes: All the good things that go on in the world go on without making headlines in the news. I wish we would hear more about those good things that are happening.

My Response: This response really exposes the messed up culture we are living in due to the news theory that "If it bleeds, it leads."  As educators we know the home life of a child shapes so much and we only have to look at the six o'clock news to see the same disasters that youngsters are viewing and hearing opinions about at home.  Even as an adult I find it a chore to watch the first six minutes of any news broadcast and not get disgusted.  We know we have a problem when we want it to be election time; at least during that time every newscast isn't engulfed with horror stories. 

As educators we also know how important and influential a child's classroom experience can be.  I believe we need to highlight more of the good things in classrooms, on assignments, etc.  This art seems to get lost around the transition into secondary education.  At those levels students hear more and focus more on what they did wrong as opposed to right.  I know the value of critiquing and getting better at what we do poorly, but it is still rewarding for students to hear positive comments in this sometimes thankless time of their life.  I also appreciate the fact we don't need to put smiley-face stickers on high school papers and at times focusing on negative behaviors for disciplinary actions is needed, but instructors and school workers need to find a healthy blend of each.

• .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • 26
  • 27
  • 28
  • 29
  • 30
  • .