Blog#5

http://rachelboyd.blogspot.com/

You have been told!

"Last week my class just finished our giant (for 6 & 7 year olds) digital stories."

This article really caught my attention because my class just finished doing digital stories. The difference between my class and yours though, is that I'm in college. As an education major we always discuss how technology such as digital stories is the future of classrooms. But this is the first time I have actually heard of a specific example of newer technology being used in the classroom besides laptops. I now have a better vision of technology in the classroom because of your class. At first it was harder for me to understand the concepts of technology because I didn't know anyone actually using it. Can you go into more detail on how your class handled the digital stories? What other technologies are you using in your classroom?   

Blog #4

When I posted my comment, it did not post on the bloggers page. He did mention that it would not be posted unless I leave an e-mail, so I assume he has to approve it first. But I still copied what I said below.

http://davidwarlick.com/2cents/2007/10/22/measures-for-success/#respond

Measures for Success

"GreeGreen County decided to base its education on opportunity rather than test scores by putting a laptop computer into the hands of every middle and high school student, starting in 2003."

"He stated, up front, that their test scores had not improved that significantly (End of Course scores have risen from 67%-78%).

"Of particular interest, however, is the number of graduating high school students who are going to college.  Prior to their 1:1 initiative, only 26% of students continued their education after high school.  On the last day of school, in 2006, 79% of graduating seniors had already been accepted at post secondary institutions.  In 2007, it rose to 84%."

I really love what Green County is doing with their students. I personally think that the state test scores for students prove nothing when it comes to their ability and future success. All that test scores do is discourage the children who are attending the schools with low test scores. These test scores put these children in a category as being inferior learners, when in actually it is a lot deeper than that. I think Green County is smart for doing away with test scores and focusing on things such as technology: The things that will actually better prepare them for the changing world. Also, it is a lot more important to get students to graduate and enroll into college than it is to meet state standards. Think about that. Teachers need to focus more on getting their students into college, not passing state test.

Blog #3

http://practicaltheory.org/serendipity/

An Accident of Birth 

I thought this was written beautifully and I agree with you 100%. There are so many outside factors that affect the way children learn. With me coming from a low income area, I personally witness the struggles that kids go through outside of the class. Neighborhoods with drugs, gangs and violence can plague a student's ability to learn.  When a student have to worry about where their next meal will come from, or which will be the safest route home, or where are their parents, school can easily become second priority.     

Blog #2

http://remoteaccess.typepad.com/remote_access/

Planning With Many Heads

It involves us, the teachers and those who are supporting us, figuring out how to work together, to collaborate, synchronize and plan our schedules from thousands of miles apart.We tried email but it didn't work very well as we had no running record of what we were thinking about. We tried a wiki but it wasn't the place either.

I thought it was interesting that you mentioned this because my class is going through a similar situation. We have been assigned a group project with students in the class that we never met. So we must communicate through Wiki. Wiki seems like a good way for a group of people in different places to collaborate but you seem to think there is a better way. I am curious on why you did not choose Wiki. Is there any thing I need to worry about?

Blog #1

http://www.typepad.com/t/trackback/819862/7705523

Is the National Curriculum too busy?

I actually enjoyed this article. One always needs options when it comes to finding the best way to educate our children. Unfortunately this article did not present a logical option in my opinion. This style of teaching only spreads the gap between students, which ignores the concept of "No Child Left Behind." One must also think of the wide range in socio-economic levels in the U.S. The only students who would benefit from this method are those who can afford it, further spreading the educational gap between lower class and upper class. If this was to occur, the upper class would have an advantage, making it harder for the lower class to compete.  

• .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • 26
  • 27
  • 28
  • 29
  • 30