Blog Response 5

Tim Frederick's teaching blog

http://timfredrick.typepad.com/timfredrick/

In other cultures and in our history, adolescents were not treated as children, but given a multitude of responsibility for themselves and their families.  Epstein cites several research studies to show that adolescents have the cognitive, physical, and emotional capabilities of adults.  As a culture, we infantilize them and it is as a result of this infatilization that adolescents are angry, depressed, and rebellious.

I think the author of this book has found the key to the problems with today's adolescents.  My teenage years weren't too long ago and I longed to be treated like an adult.  The source of my angst was in discovering injustices in the world and feeling powerless to do anything.  Imagine if teenagers with all of their energy for change were given the chance to do something with their free spirited ideas.  Kids like this (and me and other little Lisa Simspons) are so sick of the adult world and it's injustice, but by the time we reach the age of being able to change we become complacent. Imagine if teenagers with all of the energy and drive were given the power to make a difference and told their thoughts were worthwhile.  The change that everyone wants to see in the world would be a much quicker process.

Blog Response 4

1-http://www.thethinkingstick.com/?p=587#comment-25536

2-Jeff Utecht

3-We talked about creating an online profile that represents who you are, or who you want to be. We discussed the fact that our society at this moment in time really doesn’t know where to draw the line when it comes to what is private and what is public, what should be held against you in a job interview and what shouldn’t.

4-First of all this sounds like a really neat presentation and a unique way of getting your message across. Kids are diving headfirst into the worldwide web without understanding how they are being perceived on there. I think everyone has a part of their private life that they might not want their teacher or boss to find out about, but doesn’t affect their professional life at all. Unfortunately when you put this stuff on the web, it becomes public. If it is inappropriate, that speaks badly for your school or workplace. This is where the issue lies. Your online profile is a part of your entire personality, a reflection of yourself and the groups you are part of. Students believe these sites are their private little worlds, and finding out teachers were a large part must have shocked them. Private and professional lives should be kept apart but the web is bringing them together. If people need a more private and personal space to share with friends, they need to be more careful.

Blog Response 3

http://timfredrick.typepad.com/timfredrick/2007/09/i-wish-i-could-.html?cid=86511064#comment-86511064

Tim Frederick

"I remember as I was finishing up my teacher preparation program, one of the instructors said, "When you're done, you'll know it.  Don't stay just to stay."  I think her point was that when you are "done" with teaching (i.e., you are burned out), you are not doing anyone any favors by staying." 

I am an education major, and at this point I can't see myself giving up and quitting teaching. These long nights studying are not for fun, it's so that I'll be able to effectively inspire and teach the next generation of children. What if I can't inspire, or what if other demands don't allow enough time for me to do a good job? I think I'll know if this happens and realize I'm not doing the children any favors by being a grumpy teacher. I wonder what it would take for this to happen? Right now, the sky is the limit, I have yet to be discouraged. But it happens all the time. 50% of teachers, most with aspirations as high as mine, quit in a few years. The reasons for this should be looked at immediately and seen as the the first step for reforming our education system.

Blog Response 2

Chris Lehmann
http://practicaltheory.org/serendipity/

"Our problem is that there is little about our current educational system that encourages innovation."

Your comments on innovation made me think about the split between what we're supposed to teach, and the skills children need to know. Employers are looking for innovative, creative employees, while schools are focusing on teaching facts. Technology should be looked at as a way of enhancing current teaching. The ideas involved in enhancing current teaching will constantly change as the way people look at knowledge changes. This constant critique and rethinking is true innovation. Our entire globe is at different stages of technology usage. People are moving along at their own pace. The ones that resist new technologies haven't been taught or given the time to be innovative. In the future, knowledge will be taught in new ways; as the media changes so will the message. Children born today will learn about the world in an entirely new way, and therefore have a very different perspective. If we expect our children to be innovative, we need to start with the school system.

Awaiting posting 

Blog Response 1

Creating Learning Experiences

Posted by Konrad Glogowski

http://www.teachandlearn.ca/blog/2007/08/16/creating-learning-experiences/#comment-86496 

Konrad Glogowski wrote in the blog Zone of Proximal Development,

... What I'm really interested in is preparing the ground for learning. I don't want to structure and pre-define. I do not want to create a community or a social network for my students. Instead, I want to create the conditions necessary for the right kind of environment to emerge. Building an environment for the students is likely to result in failure: environments and communities need to be build with the students, with their full participation, through their work and their interactions with and about texts... it's not about the process, it's about the product."There were many connections that emerged among students researching related ideas. The students interacted with each other by posting comments and by sharing and commenting on resources. They were engaged in their own research projects as individual researchers but, at the same time, there emerged many small networks within our class blogosphere of students interested in similar topics. They were all engaged and connected.

And that was where the process ended, or so I thought until I noticed Vanessa's poem and then Trudy's. Both girls were contributing unique, personal content to the fields they chose to research. That's when I realized that in order for the learning experience to be complete, the students needed to go beyond researching, connecting, and network-building to become creators and contributors. Of course, one could argue that their research entries contributed valuable material to our class community, but this - their poetry - was unique and personal. These were artifacts which, despite their personal, literary, and creative nature, could enrich anyone's understanding of child soldiers or Anne Frank. They emerged because the girls went beyond the process of documenting their research."

Before I explain what I have in mind, let me take you back to last term. I'd like to tell you about Vanessa. Last term, she chose to research child soldiers. She spent months reading articles, interviews, watching online videos, and documenting her research on her blog. Gradually, she immersed herself in her topic and learned much more than I ever could have taught her. Then, towards the end of the term, after documenting her research, reflecting on it, and sharing it with her classmates, she started writing poetry in response to this gruesome and difficult topic. Take a look:

I am part of the Revolutionary United Forces and I will stop at nothing for victory...

To overthrow the enemy one must not abide by the rules,
Governing ourselves, altering the thoughts of many
Vulnerability in a child is our advantage
Even in the children's eyes, death is to be taught as the answer
The children have sorrow in their eyes longing for love
They cry,
Scream,
Weep for love,

Defeating the enemy, is of the utmost importance
No sympathy, no traitors, no survivors
The child's innocence will not affect us,
Risking their lives will lead us closer to victory.
The children have sorrow in their eyes longing for hope,
They cry,
Scream,
Weep for hope

Respect given to the children will conquer any love once given to them
Our training methods constant and cruel
On the front lines of battle, they shed blood for us
We are the R.U.F's, envisioning only supremacy
The children have sorrow in their eyes longing to defeat the enemy
They cry,
Scream,
Weep for victory.

Sara Nitschke Says: Your comment is awaiting moderation.
August 29th, 2007 at 3:51 pm

http://www.teachandlearn.ca/blog/

The research assignment was left open ended to foster creativity. Students were to pick whatever form or media they wanted to express their ideas. Konrad was proud of the amount of work the students put into their topic and the connections that were made across the classroom.  With infinite research tools available these students have become experts in their field. Connections were made between students and teacher as they learned new information together.   A few students took the process a step further, by making poetic contributions     Konrad stresses the product, the poems that were produced as examples of real and powerful learning. The poems exemplify real academic contributions brought on by a passion for their subject.  They went beyond research and felt connected to their subject which allowed them to contribute poems and dialogue of their own.  The openendedness of this assignment is what makes their creativity possible, not the specific technology platforms. I hope I can foster such a high level of intrigue and creativity in my future students.

« May 2017 »
  • .
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • 26
  • 27
  • 28
  • 29
  • 30
  • 31
  • .
  • .
  • .