Blog Response 5

Tim Frederick's teaching blog

http://timfredrick.typepad.com/timfredrick/

In other cultures and in our history, adolescents were not treated as children, but given a multitude of responsibility for themselves and their families.  Epstein cites several research studies to show that adolescents have the cognitive, physical, and emotional capabilities of adults.  As a culture, we infantilize them and it is as a result of this infatilization that adolescents are angry, depressed, and rebellious.

I think the author of this book has found the key to the problems with today's adolescents.  My teenage years weren't too long ago and I longed to be treated like an adult.  The source of my angst was in discovering injustices in the world and feeling powerless to do anything.  Imagine if teenagers with all of their energy for change were given the chance to do something with their free spirited ideas.  Kids like this (and me and other little Lisa Simspons) are so sick of the adult world and it's injustice, but by the time we reach the age of being able to change we become complacent. Imagine if teenagers with all of the energy and drive were given the power to make a difference and told their thoughts were worthwhile.  The change that everyone wants to see in the world would be a much quicker process.

• .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • 26
  • 27
  • 28
  • 29
  • 30
  • .